The NewsGuild is dedicated to building a sustainable future for the news industry, because we believe that working journalists have to Save The News.
The COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare the problems facing the news business, and the importance of news. Amid a global health crisis, civil unrest, a mounting recession and a heated campaign season, newsrooms across the country saw an unprecedented wave of closures, furloughs and layoffs. There are 36,000 fewer journalists working today than in 2008, at a time when quality, credible information can save lives. The NewsGuild, the largest union representing journalists in the U.S., is fighting for our members’ jobs, and also for their essential work.
The Save The News campaign is a fight for long-term solutions to the crisis facing the news industry by advocating for public policy that will:
- Breakup corporate ownership of news organizations— five companies now own 74% of daily newspapers
- Provide incentives for financial investors to sell news organizations to civic-minded, local investors
- Provide grants, tax credits and new revenue for news organizations, and ensure that additional money is spent in newsrooms and not padding a corporate bottom line
- Increase access to government records
- Protect journalists and their sources from prosecution, just for doing their jobs
For more information visit SaveTheNews.org