We’re looking for an administrative secretary who will report to The NewsGuild-CWA President and Executive Vice President. This position is based in Washington, DC.
- Performs wide range of clerical and secretarial work of an administrative and confidential nature.
- Performs duties that require a thorough knowledge of the organization, its procedures and practices.
- Pace of work is erratic, with periods in which work is rapidly paced.
- Duties are generally diverse, with many duties requiring analysis and reasoning.
- Work involves the application of standard practices. Frequent substantive decision making is required. Few guidelines exist for performance of duties and tasks. Exercises independent judgment on complicated or special matters.
- Plans and schedules own work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Composes correspondence frequently without instruction or review. May be asked to read reports and summarize information to facilitate review by supervisor. Handles routine administrative details independently and may participate in the management of the office.
- Performs all secretarial functions as required by Supervisor. Duties include typing, word processing and data entry from a variety of sources such as: handwritten rough drafts, form letters, forms, reports, printed materials, columns of numbers etc. May handle or compose correspondence or take action without direction from supervisor.
- Answers telephone, takes messages or refers calls to appropriate department. Has regular contact with local members, local officers and or external public including individuals in high levels of responsibility.
- Arranges and maintains accurate records and files. Must be able to retrieve information from records and files upon request. May be required to interpret data, perform auditing or large scale reconciliation or records.
- Keeps calendar, schedules appointments and conferences, makes travel arrangements.
- Performs liaison duties between supervisor and other employees and offices.
- Receives and distributes mail.
- Operates routine office equipment including computer, label maker, copier, FAX.
- Performs other miscellaneous general office duties as required, some of which may require independent judgment.
- May be required to travel.
- Thorough knowledge of modern office practices and procedures and the use of office machines and equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of policies and procedures of the union; ability to understand and interpret pertinent policies and procedures clearly and accurately.
- Must be a self-motivated and energetic individual who possesses good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Sufficient skill in typing and the ability to take sufficient notes at a meeting from which to prepare an accurate record of events.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel.
- Ability to learn new software and computer equipment as required by supervisor or as technology changes.
- Ability to understand moderate technical instructions.
- Must have ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Four to six years related experience.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time, use hands to handle or feel objects, writing instruments or keyboard controls, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include both close and distance vision.
Salary range: $73,914.90 – $77,805.16 Salary/year
CWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.