The Chicago News Guild is seeking a dynamic full-time Staff Member to join our growing local in the home of the American labor movement! We’re looking for a member-focused “coach” who can identify and cultivate leaders among our membership, and build up skills and cohesion in each of the more than 20 units in our local of 400 members (soon to add nearly 200 more) who work at newspapers, as court interpreters, and at nonprofits and labor unions.
Successful candidates will know that filing grievances is great, but true power in the workplace comes from building strong units, with members who are engaged and committed to taking action collectively to make their jobs and lives better. As one of two full-time employees of our local, you’ll have to be organized, methodical, and resourceful. You’ll help us continue our progress toward installing an organizing model in our local, create long-term plans and strategies (and track progress toward those goals), and train up our current members while we’re bringing in new shops where workers want to take power over their workplace. You’ll also handle grievances (and organize around them), guide members through an organized and strategic bargaining process, and help connect members to our community and the Chicago labor movement. It’s a lot of work, but we will do it together!
Position Location: Chicago (will consider hybrid on-site/remote work schedules)
This highly organized professional will report to the President and Executive Board; serve as coordinator for the local, working with ED/Gen Counsel; and:
- Develop shared annual goals with the leadership team and create support structures to help the team meet those annual goals;
- Oversee the tracking and reporting of program goals and outcomes of local initiatives;
- Direct the implementation of long-term, coordinated outreach and recruitment efforts to grow our organization’s membership base;
- Strengthen our membership recruitment and retention models, including advancing membership blitzes and new member orientations;
- Develop worker education initiatives to strengthen the educational and professional opportunities for CNG members;
- Assist in strategic planning, evaluation, and oversight of local projects and programs under direction of the local officers;
- Develop and implement project management protocols and communication systems in the interest of promoting coordination across the local;
- Assure good function of local committees;
- Integrate Chicago NewsGuild members into the national Member Organizer program and support its success;
- Collaborate closely with key local, statewide, and national coalition partners and elected leaders;
- Represent the organization at external meetings, coalition tables, and conferences;
- Carry out various local-wide projects as assigned by the officers;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Eligible to work in the US
- Must be fully vaccinated with an FDA approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to first day
- 5+ years of experience in community or labor organizing
- Bilingual (fluency preferred) in Spanish and English a plus
- Flexibility to attend evening and weekend events and meetings, as needed
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Desire to work collaboratively; self-motivated; detail oriented, well-organized, and able to prioritize assignments and workload
- Proficient in basic 21st century office technology: cloud-based spreadsheets and docs; presentation, messaging and video conferencing apps
- Willingness to grow professionally through learning, participating in training, and accepting direction
- Commitment to social justice; demonstrated ability to work effectively and respectfully with diverse Guild members as well as with community members, co-workers, and the public.
Salary: $90,000 with excellent health insurance, CWA pension, and other benefits.
Email résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include three references (references will not be contacted until after a first interview).
Application period closes March 31, 2023.