The David S. Barr Award is intended to recognize one high school and one college student for their journalistic achievement and to encourage young journalists to focus on issues of social justice. It is named after David S. Barr, who for a quarter of a century served as The NewsGuild’s general counsel, mentor, role model and institutional memory.
More specifically, the goals of the award are to:
- Inspire a new generation of journalists by
recognizing work that contributes to the pursuit of
justice and fairness;
- Promote issues of importance to working
- Serve as a lasting memorial and tribute to David
All entries must be of work published or broadcast
between Jan. 1, 2017 and Dec. 31, 2017 that helped to right a wrong; corrected an injustice; or promoted justice and fairness.
Entries must be postmarked by no later than Jan. 31, 2018.
The David S. Barr Award for Student Journalists is open to high school students, including those enrolled in vocational, technical or special education programs; and part-time or full-time college students, including those in community colleges and in graduate programs.
Students who have worked or are working as professional journalists – excluding internships – are not eligible to enter.
High school winner: $1,000
College winner: $1,500
Entries will be judged by a panel comprised of at least three members of The NewsGuild Executive Board, including a journalist.
Rules for Entry
- Each student journalist is limited to one entry.
- Entries must be accompanied by a summary of the work being submitted.
- One original copy of the entry must be submitted, if it was published in print, along with four photocopies.
- For entries published online only, submit five good-quality printouts/copies.
- For broadcast entries, submit five copies in digital format (flash drives/DVDs).
- The publication date of each entry must be clearly visible.
- For all entries, if the work is still available online, please include the link in your summary.
- A signed, official application form must be attached to each copy of each entry.
- Failure to provide all documents as described will result in ineligibility.
- All entries become the property of the David S. Barr Award Committee.
Send Entries To:
David S. Barr Award
501 Third Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20001-2797
Call us at (202) 434-7177